Friday, July 18, 2008

Tattoo Epiphany

I was trying to think of how I could make the heart/wings tattoo a bit personal for Dad because I would want him to think I put some thought into it, not just something with Mums and Dad on it that didn't mean anything.

Then it came to me.

I am going to get "My heart beats for you" underneath it - in French.

Dad loves French, he's really passionate about it and he has really done so well learning it and going to France and practicing and making sure he gets it right and making sure he's always improving and challenging himself. In French, the phrase is "Mon coeur bat pour vous" or "Mon couer qu'il bat pour vous" which is "My heart it beats for you"... so I will have to ask someone who is really really good at French - I was thinking of who I could call so I talked to Dad (without giving anything away) and he suggested my old French teacher from school which was a fabulous idea because she is cool and so keen to help. Turns out the translations I had were way off, so she is going to discuss it with her French friends who are staying with her this weekend and get back to me next week. While I was discussing it with her I got all teary almost, so lame, hahaha..

Plus I'm thinking of making the centre of the piece a real heart instead of a heart symbol, sort of in tribute to mum's profession. Really excited about this idea, it finally feels right like it's coming together just right in a way that is special to me and how I feel about my parents.

Off to Byfield in an hour or so, pretty fucking stoked :D More when I get back.

3 comments:

Sophie Benjamin said...

You know, that's an excellent idea. The thing I love about French is that it's such an aesthetically pleasing language - attractive both to read and listen to.

latentink said...

So true, that was a large part of my excitement about the idea - that it would look beautiful as well as be meaningful.

Sophie Benjamin said...

Plus I'm thinking of making the centre of the piece a real heart instead of a heart symbol, sort of in tribute to mum's profession.

I must have missed this when I read it initially, Cormac brought it up the other day. I think this is also an improvement.